News: Uranus used to be called George

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Video shooting/editing  (Read 41404 times)

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
Video shooting/editing
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
Been thinking lately of getting setup to shoot and edit video at a close-to professional quality.  Technology seems to allow individuals to accomplish this now at a fraction of the price that it use to cost back in the tape days, or is that really the case....

Editing packages I have been thinking about are Final Cut and Avid, and what are the others....

Camera wise, wondering if a digital SLR capable of video would cut the mustard,  but do they have enough memory capacity to shoot for more than a few minutes and what is the quality like, (i.e. 1080P)....?? IDK...

Other accessories needed would be battery packs, tripods with fluid heads, lighting, fuck as I write this it's getting expensive... LOL

Anyway, just starting this process.  Any experiences or recommendations....??

BEGIN!!

Offline Brent

• Members
Re: Video shooting/editing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
Price is gonna be a big factor, obviously.

I'd probably go this way, if I was on a middle of the road budget. I think a DSLR would be a good choice, especially given video is only a small portion of what it does. You're not shooting a hollywood feature.

Canon EOS 70D camera body, $1100 CAD (give or take). I'm expecting Sander to shoot that one down, but the Nikon in that price range doesn't have an articulated screen and doesn't let you change aperture during video. Also the Canon has a better live view function.

EF 24-105mm f/4L lens. $1300 CAD ($800 if you get a new white box one off amazon... that's what I'd do). Not to plug the lens I just bought... but it's really nice. Great lens for video, or for just walk around shooting.. On the crop sensor 70D the focal range is more 38-168, but that still seems fine to me for shooting video. It's weather sealed and built like a tank too. Image stabilization is a great feature for video.

If budget is getting concerning, I'd skimp on the camera before I did on the lens.

Memory cards.... $60. Just get a decently fast 64 GB card. That's like 2 1/2 hours of video at 44 Mbps (better than blu ray).

Extra batteries. $40 for 2 (just guessing) generic batteries. Don't buy the Canon ones. Too much money.

Lighting will depend on what you're shooting really... You might not need anything extra. If you did find you wanted more control over it, at Rona you can get 150 W max clamp on lights with built in reflectors for like $21 and then get a couple 42 or 85 watt CFL bulbs, which shouldn't run more than $15 per. So we're up to like $70 for lighting. If you decided you needed it. If you needed to soften that up a bit you could loosely cover the whole thing with tissue paper and masking tape. I've done that. Beyond that it'll get expensive, but I dunno if you'd need to. If you want on camera lighting, I dunno, one of those Neewer LED boxes... $45 on amazon.

Tripod if you needed it would run you around $150 for a decent one, $200 ish for a fluid head probably. I like Manfrotto... but that's just because I got one on sale and I like it. Again, depends on what sort of stuff you're filming.
You could also make yourself a mobile stabilization rig dealy for about $20

Software. There's also Adobe premier, on top of those. Price...

I'm definitely the camera neophyte on here, and I'm sure I'll get flak for plugging Canon, but, in my limited experience, I like the feel of Canons more, and I think they're better suited to video, in that price range anyway.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:38:06 PM by Brent »
ohh greenland is a barren land
a land that bears no green
where there\'s ice and snow
and the whale fishies blooow
and daylights seldom seen

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
what brent said. except don't buy expensive lenses... buy some old russian or german m42 manual focus lenses + m42 adapter. fucking great quality and since they're all manual focus, the focus ring is huge, which is what you need.
those lenses are really cheap here.. like 30 for 50mm f1.4...

also, you'll need follow focus.

i think most dslrs can shoot up to 7 minutes of video. which is more than enough.

i use adobe premiere for editing.

Offline Brent

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
what brent said. except don't buy expensive lenses... buy some old russian or german m42 manual focus lenses + m42 adapter. fucking great quality and since they're all manual focus, the focus ring is huge, which is what you need.
those lenses are really cheap here.. like 30 for 50mm f1.4...

also, you'll need follow focus.

i think most dslrs can shoot up to 7 minutes of video. which is more than enough.

i use adobe premiere for editing.

Yeah, I think the Canon shoots 12 min chunks. If you need more than 12 minutes of continuous video... fuck you.

I don't mind the idea of the cheap surplus lens, especially if you're after a prime. What I would say though, is lenses are the sort of thing where if you're not going for old stock like that, I wouldn't cheap out.

Like a low end current model zoom lens won't be worth much to you in a year if you get serious about shooting video or stills. Read reviews, get something you won't want to replace in 6 months haha.

The one exception is the Canon 50mm F1.8 II... $100 but awesome.

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »
maybe he'll be bootlegging, then he'd need more than 12 minutes of continuous video. :P

Offline Brent

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
maybe he'll be bootlegging, then he'd need more than 12 minutes of continuous video. :P

Well, then fuck him. Duh.

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:25:54 AM »

Well, then fuck him. Duh.

Well someone may just end up fucking me then, cause 12 minutes may be a little on the low side for some situations.  Could probably be worked around in some situations, but recording a presentation or something like that would likely require 30-60 minutes, or record with multiple cameras and then try to button it together in post....

Good info though, something that I'll have to keep in mind with regards to requirements.

BTW, I have used Adobe Premiere many versions ago and it was OK.  I would imagine it has come along and compares to the other packages now.  From what I remember it was a little picky with regards to formats that it supported, but again i'm talking a 10 year old version.

Offline Brent

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:46:22 AM »
If you don't mind a 3-5 second gap in segments, you can just string several together.

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
Well first off (you could have seen this coming): fuck Canon  :bitchplease:  :troll:

Anyway. The Nikon D300s (Semi-professional) does the following:
The Nikon D300S's movie resolutions include 1280x720 (16:9), 640x424 (3:2), and 320x216 (3:2). Video is recorded in Motion JPEG format, in .AVI files. Recording times are limited to five minutes per clip for HD mode, and 20 minutes per clip for the latter two modes. Nikon hasn't explained the reason for the limit as of this writing, but it's likely due to sensor heating issues that might start to degrade image quality. The frame rate is 24 frames per second, and audio from the built-in microphone is monaural, while a standard 3.5mm stereo input jack caters for external microphones. Approximate maximum file sizes of the two larger sizes both seem to be about 600-800MB.

Apparently the end result is not perfect as it applies compression to the images (similar to JPEG compression).

Actually, I haven't been experimenting with video with my D300s much so far. I'm willing to shoot a longer video for reference (with several lenses if you wish). I have no clue where to upload it though. On Youtube, can you just upload files over several hundreds of MB's for free? So far I haven't uploaded anything at all.

The D300s is around 1.000-1.100 now (new).

If it were me, I wouldn't go further than a semi-professional DSLR for video. That would be buying a fridge like this and only using it for the ice cube maker:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:18:23 PM by TomWaits »

Offline Brent

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »
Well I knew you were gonna say that... just was pretending maybe you wouldn't?  8)

Still... you're paying $520 CAD give or take more for a camera that's
-Heavier
-Shoots 5 min video segments vs 12
-No pop out articulated screen
-24 fps @ 720p  vs  30 fps @ 1080p
-No video autofocus

:bitchplease:

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »
Well I knew you were gonna say that... just was pretending maybe you wouldn't?  8)

-Heavier
-No video autofocus

Well it could be that Nikon is better at making photo cameras than video cameras. Maybe for Canon it is the other way around  :mmm:

Offline Brent

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »

-Heavier
-No video autofocus

Well it could be that Nikon is better at making photo cameras than video cameras. Maybe for Canon it is the other way around  :mmm:

You're right. It's a better still camera.  :clap:

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
It is a new area for both companies really.... Sony owned that world for a very long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam

I'm starting to think that "right tool for the job" is becoming a factor.  An actual 'video camera' may be needed to meet requirements.

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
Then just go for the best... RED EPIC DRAGON!!! :wub:

-6k resolution @ 100fps :ehehe:
-3d video
-a SHITLOAD of accessories!
-mount for all lenses (canon, nikon, leica...)

Offline skuspar

• Captain of This Bitch!
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 12:02:48 AM »
Then just go for the best... RED EPIC DRAGON!!! :wub:

-6k resolution @ 100fps :ehehe:
-3d video
-a SHITLOAD of accessories!
-mount for all lenses (canon, nikon, leica...)
All for the low, low price of several city blocks in Detroit!