News: Uranus used to be called George

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Jamming  (Read 17209 times)

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
Jamming
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
So...do any of you jam from time to time? Or at least play together with someone else? And how does it go for you? Do you play solos like crazy, or do you tend to stay in the background mostly?

I should basically play more of often, so since I do not play that often I tend to stick to chords mostly and the variations I do are just the rhytm of strumming them  :ozz:
Also, since the people I play with are likely to be better than me, I tend to get intimidated by that and just stick to my chords (and have them play solos as they please).
I still do enjoy it, though.

So anyway...your jammin' stories  :cherry:

Offline skuspar

• Captain of This Bitch!
  • Members
Re: Jamming
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »
Since I play pretty much only metal I don't jam, like, ever.  :flower:  I was playing regularly with the guys from gorphanage but then the drummer went and had a second child a month and a half ago and we haven't played since (we practiced at his house)

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
I have been playing with a jam-band the past year or so...... I am playing bass though so my solo's are limited.  Plus I'm pretty shitty, so hopefully I will solo more when I suck less.  The time I free-style most now is during the outro of songs where everyone is hammering away, and I try to hit a bunch of notes that seem like they are in the proper key.  We play a lot of punk music, so just being loud and fast is usually enough.

Offline bjr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:32:02 AM »
All the time! We play a bunch of chords and then take turns to play over them....we usually fix 16/32 bars each and then the other switches to the chords without breaking the rhythm of the song and the challenge is to try and continue from where the other person left off when I start soloing. We try doing different styles and different structures as often as we can.

Sometimes a friend and I try and collaborate to do covers (since they are a great way to practice and get better) but we normally do a pretty shitty job.

Ozz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:36:56 AM »
I've jammed a few times over the years, but musicians are flakes so it never worked out.

Offline ~MM~

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
I pretty much never jam. Sadly, I still lack a workable knowledge of which notes are which on the fretboard. I get too intimidated to be comfortable without knowing at least a key or something (since I don't recall notes fast enough anyway, it doesn't matter).

I'm pretty good at winging jam band kind of stuff actually, so I don't really know why I get so intimidated. Same thing that happens when people tell me to "play something". It's like I forgot how to work the instrument and forget every song I know. If I just play, I can make it sound good without even worrying about key or anything but, for some reason, I have difficulty doing it with other people playing.

In reference to the "play something" my favorite is when they tell me to do that when I'm blisteringly drunk and all I remember are the more difficult songs that just sound like shit when I try to play them drunk.

Offline Hippie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
It seems like for awhile all i ever did was jam. Even when i was in PFR, we rarely played anything the same way twice. Now that i have no band, or musical friends, im trying to make an album. Since writing usually involves jamming for me, and i have noone around, i usually just construct a backing track and jam out over that until i hit something that sounds awesome, then i record it.
We're Crab People Now!

Offline mudhoney

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
I used to with a few people, but played bass, eventually they wanted to do it more seriously and start a band, and they found a better bass player (compared to their level I sucked on the bass)
Anyway, they all fell out, I still talk to them, nothing personal, I would have embarrassed myself anyway.

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:07:38 AM »
Went to the jam I planned a few weeks back.  It turned out quite well.  We booked a jam room in Toronto, $70 for 3 hours.  It had great equipment, the biggest bass amp i've ever used.  An Ampeg head with a 8x10" cab.  The guitar player had a choice of a Marshall stack or Orange stack.  Good drum kit and PA also.

None of us had played together.  I knew the guitar player and singer seperately, and the singer's brother-in-law is the drummer, who was probably the most proficient of us.

Recorded a couple tunes with a small digital recorder.... the PA was too low unfortunatley.  But for 4 guys who have never played together before we nailed a couple of them....  :pimp:

I'll see if I can attach one here......  fuck tried to attach and file is too big.  Will try a youtube post..

Offline skuspar

• Captain of This Bitch!
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »
Cool!  One of Gorphanage's guitarists has an orange stack.  First time he brought it to practice I loled at the sight of it.  But it sounded good.  Then the head turned out to be a lemon within the first week he had it and had to be sent off and fixed somewhere blah blah 2 months later he got the head back now and had it last practice. 

Ozz

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »
Cool!  One of Gorphanage's guitarists has an orange stack.  First time he brought it to practice I loled at the sight of it.  But it sounded good.  Then the head turned out to be a lemon within the first week he had it and had to be sent off and fixed somewhere blah blah 2 months later he got the head back now and had it last practice. 

When are you guys going to record that EP or whatever?

Offline skuspar

• Captain of This Bitch!
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
When members stop having babies.  They want to keep writing songs because of the lack of funds (specifically our drummer in that regard) for recording.  We have like 9 or 10 songs at this point. Not all of which are 100 finished arrangement wise. Damn real life commitments!

Offline Hippie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:42 AM »
orange stack.

the head turned out to be a lemon
lol
We're Crab People Now!

Offline skuspar

• Captain of This Bitch!
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:46:12 AM »
orange stack.

the head turned out to be a lemon
lol
Hahaha!  no pun intended!   :pimp:

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 04:06:23 AM »
Fuck, you can't post just audio to youtube..... had to make a cheesy video slideshow to upload a song....

Anyway, this is us..... (keep in mind we've never played together, and the guitarist was a little rusty in general, and the PA was not loud enough.... is that enough excuses???)

Sunshine of your Love