News: Uranus used to be called George

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Photography thread  (Read 38361 times)

Offline skuspar

• Captain of This Bitch!
  • Members
Photography thread
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »
yeah b/w negatives have to be sent to melbourne to, i think, the only company left in australia that develops it for a reasonable price and it takes minimum 2 weeks. colour is speedier, maybe 3-5 days and that stays in sydney but has to be outsourced to some independent place no matter where you give your films in. so stupid. 

in singapore colour negatives take 1 hour still so... i don't get it, why did everyone here sell their colour machines? where did they go? can i buy one?  :cry:

but yeah, i'm the same, bjr, i did not appreciate singapore's service until i left for good. you barely have to wait for anything, ever, even the little things like a post office being open until 7pm and banks until 10pm made life muchhhh easier with a full time job. it's no wonder australians are so cranky... everything is a god damn hassle.
my building at work has a half dozen fuji frontier machines and a color negative developer.  Figure out how to move em and you got yourself a photo machine!

Offline Sully

• Members
Re: Re: Recent Purchases
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline ~MM~

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
yeah b/w negatives have to be sent to melbourne to, i think, the only company left in australia that develops it for a reasonable price and it takes minimum 2 weeks. colour is speedier, maybe 3-5 days and that stays in sydney but has to be outsourced to some independent place no matter where you give your films in. so stupid. 

in singapore colour negatives take 1 hour still so... i don't get it, why did everyone here sell their colour machines? where did they go? can i buy one?  :cry:

but yeah, i'm the same, bjr, i did not appreciate singapore's service until i left for good. you barely have to wait for anything, ever, even the little things like a post office being open until 7pm and banks until 10pm made life muchhhh easier with a full time job. it's no wonder australians are so cranky... everything is a god damn hassle.
my building at work has a half dozen fuji frontier machines and a color negative developer.  Figure out how to move em and you got yourself a photo machine!
Office Space Printer Scene

?

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
I'm not a big fan of C-41 negatives, myself. I'll take slide films over those any day.

That said, there are some amazing photographers using c-41 colour films.

Offline Sully

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:17 AM »
yeah... i guess it's just a preference. i only ever took 3 rolls of slide film and they were wayyy too rich in colour / tone for me but that would also probably be reliant on the brand too, right? i don't know anything about slides.

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
yeah... i guess it's just a preference. i only ever took 3 rolls of slide film and they were wayyy too rich in colour / tone for me but that would also probably be reliant on the brand too, right? i don't know anything about slides.

Yea, it depends on the brand (for example, Velvia wil have richer colour than elitechrome or whatever, but it also costs at least 10) but slides in general are more colourful than c-41 color film.

I mostly shoot b&w though. I'm doing lots of street photography now and in 90% of the cases colour is just an necessary distraction.  :P
And like you said, it basically all about preferences.

EDIT: you can also always get color film cross-processed for more "hipster" look. :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:39:09 AM by lucifer »

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »

Yea, it depends on the brand (for example, Velvia wil have richer colour than elitechrome or whatever, but it also costs at least 10) but slides in general are more colourful than c-41 color film.

I mostly shoot b&w though. I'm doing lots of street photography now and in 90% of the cases colour is just an necessary distraction.  :P

EDIT: you can also always get color film cross-processed for more "hipster" look. :P

Well there are scenes in which a black and white image will lack some contrast, at least in my opinion. Of course you can tweak a bit during the development, but I do believe this is true. But for instance for cityscapes, I like black and white. Perhaps I can make some photo series in Zagreb at some point and maybe we can work something out for developing them  :angel:

Btw, what's your favorite grainy black and white film?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:48:51 AM by TomWaits »

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »

Well there are scenes in which a black and white image will lack some contrast, at least in my opinion. Of course you can tweak a bit during the development, but I do believe this is true. But for instance for cityscapes, I like black and white. Perhaps I can make some photo series in Zagreb at some point and maybe we can work something out for developing them  :angel:

True. If you look at this guy's (amazing) photos from Nepal http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114076 (he posted them throughout the pages), slide film works perfectly. In such colourful places with those subjects, shooting b&w or converting it to b&w, the photos would lose the impact on the viewer in most cases, IMO.

Yea, we could work something out. Maybe we could have a walk around Zagreb one day, taking photos. :)

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

True. If you look at this guy's (amazing) photos from Nepal http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114076 (he posted them throughout the pages), slide film works perfectly. In such colourful places with those subjects, shooting b&w or converting it to b&w, the photos would lose the impact on the viewer in most cases, IMO.

Yea, we could work something out. Maybe we could have a walk around Zagreb one day, taking photos. :)

Apparently you were already replying while I was editing my message, so: Btw, what's your favorite grainy black and white film?

And yeah, a photo shoot would be nice. I know some nice places to take photos. We can do a full tour :)
I would be in Croatia really soon though, probably in June the earliest. I'll check out the photo link you posted during my lunch break today.

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »

Apparently you were already replying while I was editing my message, so: Btw, what's your favorite grainy black and white film?

And yeah, a photo shoot would be nice. I know some nice places to take photos. We can do a full tour :)
I would be in Croatia really soon though, probably in June the earliest. I'll check out the photo link you posted during my lunch break today.

Probably Kodak Tri-X 400. It has this great grainy look, and it's perfect for push processing. You can easily do 12800, or even a bit higher, which is pretty fucking amazing considering it normally a 400 iso film.

Ilford HP5+ is pretty great, too. Albeit not very grainy, if you're looking for that. I've pushed it to 3200 and as you can see below (or not, it's a small photo and it looks much better on paper), not much grain.

EDIT: this conversation should probably be moved to the Art forum?

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
Photography thread
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
So Luci, to continue about the black/white photo shoot...

I'm not sure which film camera would be best to take:

This one...

or this one...

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
Re: Photography thread
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
This one  :ehehe:

Do you own those two or would you buy them? If you own them, take the one with better lens? (or take Canon because it's prettier :P)

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
This one  :ehehe:

Do you own those two or would you buy them? If you own them, take the one with better lens? (or take Canon because it's prettier :P)

I own both.

I've actually been tempted to buy an older professional film camera, something like:

(Since it's an EOS, my Canon FD lenses won't fit unfortunately)

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
What FD lenses do you have?

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
What FD lenses do you have?

2x (I believe) 50mm, 300mm tele, and a macro ring, I believe. Pourquoi?