News: Uranus used to be called George

Login  |  Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Musical Instruments / Re: Pedals, effects, and such
« Last post by ~MM~ on September 23, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »
has anyone had much experience with joyo> A cheap Chinese brand, i picked up joyo doner boost for less than 30 (-$38), now the reviews are pretty good on-line, my issue is I have no frame of reference for a boost pedal. A lot of reviews compare it favourably to some MXRs/higher budget pedals.

The reason I ask is

A) I wanted to post something musical here.
B) I use it as an always on boost specifically to add a bit of drive to any clean parts, and i quite like what it does when I stomp on my distortion pedals. However, i'm looking to buy a new one, to add some boost to any solos (think Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan in Gish/Siamese Dream eras).

So anyone has have any opinions on these?

I've been reading a bit about these cheaper pedals flooding the market, and some appear to be straight-up copies of more expensive models and i'm impressed with the reviews, however I also have a cheap phaser + delay, the phaser is not so bad when it's turned to a low rate but it's pretty weak when turned up. The delay...i don't really use it as a delay it's that bad and unmanageable, i use to to thicken/fatten up my tone.
I've done some digging on them in the past and have a Voodoo Octave Fuzz pedal from them. It was cheaper than just buying the components and building them myself so it would be hard to complain ($25 if I remember), but that thing was nice before I cracked it open and it pretty great since I "modded" it.

From what I gather, Joyo typically takes famous effects of other companies and ghosts the circuitry. My Voodoo Octave for example is an exact copy of another famous octave fuzz that I don't recall where they reversed one diode. Go in, pull the diode, put it in proper orientation and it's the same effect, the fuzz is a bit livelier and the octave starts to really come out.

As far as boost pedals go, my experience is that there is some variance in how clean the boost is, despite most people wanting a clean boost out of them. I have a BBE Boosta Grande which I've heard has a pretty good reputation for being about as clean as boosts can get. On a clean amp channel it basically just ups the volume and give some slightly different dynamic and sustain, but mainly just the volume. You'll get a bit of added crunch on a distortion channel though. It definitely adds character to anything with distortion. I pretty much use mine as an always on in most cases as well. I'd best summarize it as a switch I can hit to make my pickups slightly hotter, but it adds a bit of specific seasoning as well. I wouldn't call it honky, got a bit more of a cry to it. Also they really tend to make harmonics stand out.
« Last post by shen on September 11, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
has anyone had much experience with joyo

I've no experience with boost pedals, but I've got a Joyo AC Tone amp emulator for silent recording which is pretty great.
Musical Instruments / Re: Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster
« Last post by mudhoney on September 07, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
I hope you didn't buy the jag (or if you did, i hope you it's better than mine). I've had my jag for 10 years (although it's CIJ 1997) and spent close to...300 (327 euro, 392) on repairing the bridge, saddles, nut. For the longest time i didn't play it, i bought an epi SG + an English make offset guitar, replaced the tuners, saddles, P90s in and it was a beast, although I sold it after finally fixing my jag to where there's no buzzing or ringing.

Once it works, there's no guitar quite like it. When it doesn't work, there's no guitar quite like it.

I've heard good things about some other offset guitars, i was planning to buy one but I forgot the name/make! Budget guitar put good reviews and played real nice.
« Last post by mudhoney on September 07, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
has anyone had much experience with joyo> A cheap Chinese brand, i picked up joyo doner boost for less than 30 (-$38), now the reviews are pretty good on-line, my issue is I have no frame of reference for a boost pedal. A lot of reviews compare it favourably to some MXRs/higher budget pedals.

The reason I ask is

A) I wanted to post something musical here.
B) I use it as an always on boost specifically to add a bit of drive to any clean parts, and i quite like what it does when I stomp on my distortion pedals. However, i'm looking to buy a new one, to add some boost to any solos (think Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan in Gish/Siamese Dream eras).

So anyone has have any opinions on these?

I've been reading a bit about these cheaper pedals flooding the market, and some appear to be straight-up copies of more expensive models and i'm impressed with the reviews, however I also have a cheap phaser + delay, the phaser is not so bad when it's turned to a low rate but it's pretty weak when turned up. The delay...i don't really use it as a delay it's that bad and unmanageable, i use to to thicken/fatten up my tone.

Art / Re: translation of my bullshit
« Last post by lucifer on August 20, 2017, 12:52:51 AM »
I am less than confident that this is a legitimate art posting.....  :getlost:

Deleting spam posts makes you're reply look quite mean. :ozz:

Lol oh dear you are correct sir.  >.<

For the record to the people of the intrawebs trolling appeals board, I indeed, in my statement, was referencing an unsolicited spam post that has now been deleted from the intrawebs, and my reply was not directed at the Maliboo writings... I place myself on the mercy of the intraweb to find me not-libelous of posting mean and/or hurtful forum material towards a fellow Intrawebs traveler without just-cause.  This is my sworn affidavit on the 18th of August in the year of our Lord Two-Thousand and Seventeen, and may God have mercy on my soul.   -_-

god will punish u
« Last post by rAnDolf sHitler on August 19, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »

Lol oh dear you are correct sir.  >.<

For the record to the people of the intrawebs trolling appeals board, I indeed, in my statement, was referencing an unsolicited spam post that has now been deleted from the intrawebs, and my reply was not directed at the Maliboo writings... I place myself on the mercy of the intraweb to find me not-libelous of posting mean and/or hurtful forum material towards a fellow Intrawebs traveler without just-cause.  This is my sworn affidavit on the 18th of August in the year of our Lord Two-Thousand and Seventeen, and may God have mercy on my soul.   -_-

« Last post by lucifer on August 18, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »

« Last post by rAnDolf sHitler on August 17, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
Bands & Artists / Re: What are you currently listening to?
« Last post by Riker on April 09, 2017, 06:17:30 AM »
Why would you?  It's some gay bullshit but you still need 5 credit hours to know what the fuck is going on
Bands & Artists / Re: What are you currently listening to?
« Last post by ~MM~ on March 05, 2017, 03:13:10 AM »
I'd never heard of it either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10