News: Uranus used to be called George

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bass variations  (Read 11046 times)

Offline TomWaits

• King of Crabs
  • Members
  • You don't say.
Bass variations
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
So...at some point fairly soon I'll probably jam a bit with 2 guitarists. To vary on all of us playing guitar, I'll bring my bass.
I don't play on my bass much, only know some basslines.

So instead of just playing the root note (or whatever the proper term is) of the chords they'll be playing, what are some easy tricks to keep things a bit more interesting for me as the bassist?

Offline ~MM~

• Members
Re: Bass variations
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
So...at some point fairly soon I'll probably jam a bit with 2 guitarists. To vary on all of us playing guitar, I'll bring my bass.
I don't play on my bass much, only know some basslines.

So instead of just playing the root note (or whatever the proper term is) of the chords they'll be playing, what are some easy tricks to keep things a bit more interesting for me as the bassist?
Root note would be the proper term. If you want something that would still be almost equally simple, any note within the chord of the rhythm section is going to sound alright to play. If you know the song well enough you can kind of wing a counter-melody. You can kind of stick with the root notes for the most part and liven it up at points where the repetition becomes obvious (e.g. towards the end of a phrase). I've always felt that that can provide continual transitions and make things seem better pieced together when they, otherwise, might sound formulaic.

Offline lucifer

• King of Crabs
  • Members
Re: Bass variations
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
Slap the root, tap the fifth, pop the third. :ehehe: