News: Uranus used to be called George

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pedals, effects, and such  (Read 52449 times)

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
Pedals, effects, and such
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
This is a thread in which to discuss and/or post your questions about pedals and/or effects, blah blah blah.

I have done this in order to ask a question actually.... so yeah, I am a fucking self-serving bastard.  OK?  I get it.  I have violated forum ettiquette and shit, and I can't even spell fucking ettiquette.  WhatEVER!!!  Jesus, just trying to add a little fucking content to this site, but NO, I'm a fucking selfish asshole polluting the forum with stupid n00b questions that no one is really going to answer seriously anyway.... FUCK YOU AND FUCK THAT UGLY KID NEXT TO YOU TOO!!

.... whew, OK, back on topic ....

As you may or may not be aware I have been playing bass the last few years, and looking to build a pedal board and pick up probably 2 pedals to join the only one I currently have which is a boss tuning pedal.  Don't even know exactly what I want or need..... dipping my toe in so to speak.

So for bass, playing rock, punkish rock, some classic rock, metalish/hard rock, what would be a good start?  I am thinking a fuzz and a chorus to start...??  Is this crazy talk??  Does it make sense??  Any advice/experiences/thoughts?  Any brands you have loved or hated?  Help me Obi Wan, you are my only hope....

Discuss....

:mmm:

Offline shen

• The great unwashed
  • Members
    • The writing of AD Warr
Re: Pedals, effects, and such
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:35:49 PM »
Get yourself a Big Muff so you can get the tone from Sabotage. That's all you need.

Synth pedals are fun too. I've got a Digitech Synth Wah, which is pretty versatile.

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:58 AM »
I picked up a bass soul food from electro harmonix, which is pretty much a mild overdrive pedal.  Will try it tomorrow night with my mates...  Doing some research it seems a compressor is a handy pedal to get also and especially for those of the n00bular persuasion, i.e., me..  Another handy one seems to be a DI pedal to go into PA systems and such.... but I usually have my amp anyway.

Think I am going to DIY a pedal board from an IKEA shelf kit that I found instructions for online, with a few of my own tweaks.

Offline rAnDolf sHitler

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:47:43 PM »
Finished beta-version 1 for myself, (pic 1 with 3 pedals).

My bandmate/guitar player came over on the weekend and we built one for him (pic 2 with more pedals).

Now, I hate mine because I did it quickly without properly counter-sinking anything, so am going to do alpha-version 2 for myself again.

Off to IKEA at lunch again to buy another shelf pack.   :D  (at the massive cost of $8)

Offline ~MM~

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »
I'm jealous of his polytune. I'll probably buy one of those eventually. I don't really gig so it would more be about how cool they are than anything but, they ARE really cool so...

I'd dig into the world of fuzz pedals. They are pretty key for bass. They are also a very wide market. I will really recommend the Great Destroyer from Dwarfcraft if you want something that is reasonably priced, completely different than anything else you can find, and also a fun DIY project. You can buy the regular one for a reasonable price (i just found out on a google search) or you can buy the DIY kit for $60 right from his website. I did and it was well worth that. Possibly just for the fun alone (although it was a challenge to cram those wires into the kit).

That being said, despite its massive amounts of fun it isn't the most useable pedal on the market. It runs almost exclusively as a fun box for me. It can definitely be tamed though and it tames up much better on bass than on guitar. I'd go as far as to say it sounds better on bass than on guitar but, I still very much enjoy it. It is literally sensitive to everything you can adjust also (including tone knobs on the guitar itself).

https://youtu.be/OCJMl3k-nu8

This video seems to highlight its ability to make nonsense more than anything but, I stress it is tameable (he leaves at least one of the knobs set to an extreme at all times). The starve knob is basically there to push parts of it to their operating minimum as far as voltage is concerned. Dialing that back starts to tame the thing immediately. Seems to react to every little bit of wiring differently as it doesn't sound the same for any two of my guitars nor my roommates basses.

Here's the guy that made it demoing it.

https://youtu.be/GOaPqOZw5zI
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:30:44 AM by ~MM~ »